Finance for Councillors
COURSE TUTOR: Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP.
Steve is a former Town Clerk & an accountant with 30 years' experience in public sector finance, who specialises in advice & training for the local council sector.
This session is for councillors only and is designed to give them a greater understanding of their duties with regard to the council's finances.
• Roles and responsibilities
• setting a budget and precept
• Financial control
• The Annual Governance & Accountability Return
• Internal and external audit
• How VAT applies to local councils
By the end of the session you will:
• Understand the council's duties regarding financial management
• Be aware of relevant legislation and sources of guidance
• Be aware of how the council's accounts are prepared and audited
• Recognise the importance of internal controls
• Understand how VAT law applies to your council
This is an interactive session, you will need a device with a reasonable screen size such as a PC, laptop or tablet to be able to participate fully.
A number of these online sessions are being offered by Steve Parkinson to local councils and places are in high demand. Please email us at email@example.com for forthcoming dates and to make a booking.