New Clerks Finance
Session leaders: Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk and an accountant with over 30 years' experience in public and voluntary sector finance. He now specialises in delivering training and advice on VAT and finance matters for the local council sector.
This introductory session is for inexperienced clerks in their first few months and is designed to give them an overview of a council's year, along with a basic understanding of the RFO's role.
If you have 9 month's experience or more, this session is unlikely to cover anything you don't already know. Please leave this session for very new clerks and book yourself onto the more detailed sessions on budgeting, Internal Control, Year-end and VAT instead.
• Roles and responsibilities
• Setting a budget and precept
• Internal control
• The Annual Governance & Accountability Return
• Internal and external audit
By the end of the session you will:
• Be aware of relevant legislation and sources of guidance
• Be able to describe the key financial activities in a year
• Be aware of how the council's accounts must be prepared and audited
• Recognise the importance of internal controls
Training is carried out online via the Zoom platform. Please email us at email@example.com to make a booking. Session dates are shown in the online calendar or you can email us for dates. Steve Parkinson courses are charged at £30 plus VAT per delegate. Places are in high demand and booked on a first come first served basis. Your booking confirmation will contain a link to the online event. Please ensure that you log in at least 10 minutes before the session starts and make sure that your screen name includes your first and last names.