CORNWALL ASSOCIATION OF LOCAL COUNCILS
Understanding the Planning System and making effective observations on planning applications
Date and Venue: to be confirmed
9.45am Registration (tea/coffee)
10.00am Working through the topics below throughout the day.
Lunch from 12.30pm to 1.15pm
The session will examine:
- UK planning legislation and policy;
- The role of local councils in the planning system;
- Local Development Plans;
- The National Planning Policy Framework;
- Development Management;
- Enforcement, appeals and special planning rules;
- Section 106 agreements and the Community Infrastructure Levy;
- Material Considerations – the need for them and their use;
- Incentivising new development;
- Pre-application discussions;
- How local councils make planning decisions.
The session is being led by Andrew Towlerton who has worked in various senior roles in planning policy for district and metropolitan councils. A qualified planner, he is an adviser for the Society of Local Council Clerks. He is also a clerk to a parish council in the Rotherham area so is familiar with the policies and procedures of local councils.